Breakfast is composed of two words, break and fast i.e. breaking the fasting period of the prior night. Breakfast foods vary widely from place to place, but often include carbohydrate-rich foods such as cereals, protein-rich foods such as eggs, fish and a beverage such as tea, coffee, milk or fruit juice.
Breakfast is considered as the most important meal of the day, as studies have proved that having a breakfast lowers risk of metabolic disorders and cardiovascular diseases. Eating a nutritious breakfast sets tone of the body and at the same time, also promotes maintenance of body metabolism.
From children to college-goers to working-class, a nutritious and healthy breakfast is necessary in order to wake the body up from the hours-long rest of night and also to get necessary nutrients which you need to function properly during the day. Having breakfast
not only provides you energy for the whole day but also keeps you full till the mid-half of the day as it is the most satiating meal of the day, thus keeping one away from indulging in junk or some other kind of unhealthy food.
If you don’t have your breakfast, your body will not process the next meal as quickly and will try to hold on to the nutrients you get from the next meal, instead of burning it right away. Some of the health benefits of having an early meal of the day like a great breakfast are:
- If you start your day on a hungry note, you get tired fast because your glucose levels are very
low. To make up for that, you need to have a hearty breakfast.
- Skipping breakfast increases stress levels and gives rise to mood swings.
- One is not able to concentrate on work or work hard because the body is like a running car
which needs its daily dosage of fuel.
- Last, but certainly not the least, never ever think that you…yes you girls and boys will ever lose weight by avoiding or skipping breakfast, as then you will binge on junk food or a sweet savory which will of course, not do anything good.
Some of the best food items which you can gorge on, for a healthy breakfast so that it not only gives you proper nutrition but at the same time helps for weight management are:
- Grab a fruit if in any hurry.
- A glass of milk with a teaspoon of honey is also nice.
- Grab a whole-wheat toast or brown bread sandwich and smear it with little butter because a
little fat is really necessary.
- Eggs make up for a really great breakfast; either scrambled eggs or French toast or simply
And as far as our Indian ways of eating breakfast are concerned, we have a whole lot of variety for breakfast; from aloo-puri of UP to sambhar-idli of Tamil Nadu and Kerala to dhokla of Gujarat to chole-bhature of Punjab.
We know that its mouth-watering but can’t help. So go on and gorge on your first meal of the day i.e. breakfast.